Thursday, September 5, 2013

WHAT'S COOKING NYC

If there are two things I love (LOVE) to eat, it would be pizza and mexican food. I can't get enough. When I go to my favorite Mexican restaurant I make a point to try and get a different thing from the menu. Cue my introduction to Chile Rellenos. Since then, I've been toying with the idea to try and make them at home and if I do say so myself, I think I succeeded! 



Chicken Chile Rellenos Recipe
What you'll need:
Tomato or enchilada sauce - (I had leftover tomato sauce I made the other day, so just added a few mexican seasonings - Cumin, Chile powder, Garlic to give it a different twist)
4 medium poblano peppers
Shredded mexican cheese and mozzarella 
Cream cheese (Use jalapeno cream cheese for extra spice)
2 eggs
1/2 cup flour
1 chicken breast
1/4 cup frozen roasted corn (optional - for filling)

First things first, pop that chicken in the oven and let it cook. Once the chicken is done, then you can really get started. Shred the chicken and combine in a bowl with shredded cheeses, cream cheese and roasted corn - this will be your filling. If you haven't seasoned your chicken, you can add your seasonings into this step.

Once the filling is assembled start roasting your poblanos. There are a few reasons why people do this - peel the skin off or just to give it that grilled flavor.




Once the peppers have roasted, start your batter. I separated the egg yolk from the egg white, mixing the egg whites first until they are frothy and then followed up with flour and the yolk. The batter almost resembles pancake batter.



Now start prepping your peppers for the filling. When cutting the peppers make almost a T-shape along the top and down the middle - this is where the filling will go. Pin it closed using toothpicks, 1 or 2 should be good. Begin dunking the peppers in the batter. Once they are all covered, fry them in a pan with very hot oil. This helps ensure less sticking and reduces the oil absorption into the food.


Ta-Da! Make sure to place the fried peppers on a paper towel to absorb excess oil. Be sure to remove the toothpicks! To serve place them on a plate with the tomato/enchilada sauce. Feel free to add extra cheese on top. Yum!

No comments:

And now, the comments!