Tuesday, August 13, 2013

BAY AREA HIKING SPOTS

I've always loved a good hike, so moving to California was like a dream to me. The whole state became a playground of endless trails and mountains just waiting to be explored. One of the first hikes I tackled with friends took place at Big Basin. Located in the Santa Cruz Mountains, Big Basin Redwoods State Park is California's oldest State Park, according to the park website, and was established in 1902. With over 80 miles of trails it can be tough to choose which route you want to take...let me make it easy for you: go to the Berry Creek Falls. This particular hiking loop is approx. 8 miles in and out and along the way you'll get a picturesque view of foliage, redwoods and even some wildlife. 
We spotted a number of banana slugs during our hiking including this shy little guy


When we set off for the hike, we knew it would be a long and challenging one. In total, the 8 mile hike took us about 5 hours (at a fast pace with a lunch break). If you plan to hike this trail, I highly suggest packing a lunch, snacks and plenty of water. As the sign warns, the Berry Creek Falls Trail is no joke.    

Entering the trail loop, the first half of the hike to the falls is mostly downhill and not extremely challenging. However, I quickly realized that everything we hiked down...we would be hiking back up. But all that dread quickly disappeared when we reached the holy grail - the waterfalls. I cannot describe to you how beautiful the falls were in person and pictures just don't do it justice. 
The falls area offers a platform where hikers can enjoy a break; we took this opportunity to eat our lunches and enjoy the view while we refueled. After lunch we decided to explore the area around the falls and took a quick, steep path that leads to the very top of the falls. For those afraid of heights, I don't recommend this. However, there really is nothing like standing on the edge of a cascading waterfall - just be smart and careful! 

Once we regained our energy we began our climb back to base camp and let me tell you, there were times I wanted to quit and become a nomad just so I wouldn't have to hike back out. Yes, it was that challenging (or I just have no endurance). But at the end of the day, completing the hike was so worth it and I've never felt better. 


Do you have a favorite hiking spot? 


 Photography: Caroline

2 comments:

  1. My fave hiking spot is Acadia National Park in Maine...I love it...also the boulders in Central Park are super fun. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome Nathan! Thanks for sharing, we'll definitely have to check those out one day!

    ReplyDelete